The center section was particle wood and was crumbling so it had to be removed. Using a circular saw, I removed that section and replaced it with piece of pine that I had on hand. Knowing that it would be painted, I wasn't worried about the type of wood used.
Once the wood was replaced I was much more confident in the whole project. (I love working with wood, but by no means really know what I am doing)
Now the fun really begins! Two coats of primer and two coats of paint later, this little cutie is certainly looking different. Knowing that the owner likes red, I decided to add a little surprise. I painted the inside of the drawers red and added some scrapbook paper. Luckily, she really like them.
Adding the french writing was fun and I think added a lot to the table. The graphics were from http://thegraphicsfairy.com/